Friday, October 17, 2008

and then it whirled some more

So time marched on and just after Christmas another friend showed up at my door.

He had just had a car accident. Pride kept him from returning to his parent's house.

We agreed that he could stay at my house for two weeks and any longer would involve rent.

I met him about 4 years ago. He was the guy in the neighborhood that seemed to have the most potential. He was smart. Handsome. Fun.

And he was the kind of guy that as a kid wouldn't come over to sponge money, but would rather ask you if you had work for him to do to earn it.

Day number two his girlfriend came over and seemed to stay. She was very sweet. There just was something not quite right about her though. Maybe it was the fact that she tried to commit suicide a month earlier when they had gone through a break up?

He was incredibly respectful and tried everything in the world to earn my praise at the things he did. He played with the dogs, took good care of the house, kept the pool well, and drank too much with me everytime the occasion arose.

He and the girlfriend fought a lot. she went home to her family's, either thrown out or just leaving on her own.

once they had a fight and she took a swing at him that made a 4 inch bleeding shallow cut on his right cheek. Sort of Like GI Joe.

Once she came over in the middle of the night screaming that she hated him and her friends were no good cunts because of a fight they had over her best friend's graduation party. He smelled of woodsmoke, bonfire. She smelled of rage.

When I had my surgery a few years ago he drove my car for me when I couldn't drive. Any job I asked him to do, he never let me down, but did it to the best of his ability.

He was very protective of me.

We had a barbeque in the back yard.

His cousins came over.

I don't remember them. I do remember a lot of beer. And did I mention the wine?

9:30 that night I woke him up for my car keys to go for more beer.

He wouldn't give them to me. He insisted on driving. We got more beer, although he was tossed out of the store for...."No shoes, No shirt, No service" But I got him an alcoholic slushy like he'd asked for before being tossed.

We went back to my pool and sat and drank.

Another friend came over. He had a bottle.

I didn't have a shot, but my buddy finished off the bottle.

He fought with his girlfriend about going to work the next day. They would get paid whether they did or not go in.

He couldn't stand up straight.

I myself fell into a lot of things. Definitely needed to buy some new lampshades and bi-fold closet doors.

I had face planted at the barbque but didn't realize what a mess my face was. Definitely Halloween Mask 3 months early. Trauma Victim.

They guy that brought the bottle took the bf/gf fight as his cue to go home to his family.

My buddy went upstairs, came down and through some plastic chairs in the pool in fighting frustration. I said, "well, everyone has to have hobbies, i guess yours is olympic chair tossing."

He walked to the deep end.

I got tired of waiting for him to come back and talk about things and figured he knew where to find me.

I went inside to the downstairs couch and fell asleep. Well, actually passed out I guess.

The next day a neighbor jumped the fence to tell me my friend was drowned in the bottom of the pool.

I was still smashed.

I thought it was a bad joke.

I stumbled outside and looked in the water.

Dialing 911 is no joke.

The State Police showed up.

I was lead away and questioned. All of the signs looked like there had been a quarrel and a fight and that I might have killed him.

They actually came out and asked me if I did. What, with the furniture in the pool, the scuff on my face.

The girlfriend had told them that she drove away around 12:30 and saw him on a floaty thing on the pool. She said I had wiped out my face at the barbque.

My best and truest friends in my while life came to see me the next day. They staged and intervention and took me away to alcohol rehab..,.............



to be continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home