Saturday, May 14, 2005

Soap boxes can be your friend!

When no one else listens or cares, that soapbox that is a blog, can be your friend. Today I have a few choice complaints that I am sure all of you can empathize with.

Who hates their cell phone provider? Just like on that frickin stupid gum commercial I can hear your little voices yelling....."I DO! I DO!"

And well you should. Especially if like me, you have Nextel. Or think you do. I thought I had Nextel. No, turns out I have the next worst thing.....NEXTEL PARTNERS. Hardly Nextel, hardly helpful, hardly worth having. Nextel Partners is division of Nextel and it is easy to see why it is divisive. NEXTEL seems almost ashamed of the association. Nextel has no computer access to Nextel Partners customer files, but they lead you to believe it is the same company.

I have several reasons for hating Nextel and I begin with being able to hate them for the next two years, the duration of my contract. Indentured servants, earning their Trans-Atlantic Passage by wiping asses and putting up with rich folks shit had it better off than those that live with predatory 2 year contracts to cell phone companies. I had the choice of a phenomonally high deposit and a one year contract, or giving up my first born and a two year contract. I opted for the easier to swallow.

My second reason for hating Nextel and most ultimately Nextel Partners is that Northwest Airlines offers up to 10,000 airmiles for purchasing a phone and service contract through Nextel. It is in all the Northwest brochures. Someone should tell all the genius commissioned sales people that work in Nextel stores of this perk because if it is not given to you upon purchase it is impossible to redeem later, or so it seems. And since the sales staff does not admit to knowing about this giveaway, they don't give it away. Nextel cannot help you because in Northeast PA, we deal with Nextel Partners and they are not really Nextel, just an unreasonable facsimile. To call Northwest and complain gets you a phone number to Nextel to call and complain which gets you a phone number to Nextel Partners to call and complain which gets you a phone number to Northwest, and so on, in one large self consuming circle, like domestic goldfish breeding only to eat their young. Round and around the tigers run until they turn into Sambo's butter, but with a less satisfactory ending to the story. So here I am with a Northwest account and no airmiles, and a Nextel phone which awards airmiles, but neglects to hand them out. It is the American way.

Which leads me to my third and final gripe, the handy dandy helpful invention of "NEXTEL SPENDING LIMITS" This is a $9.99 fee they attatch to your bill due to your credit rating for the privilege of limiting how high Nextel will allow your bill to get before they automatically transfer all of your outgoing calls to a Nextel Operator to arrange payment. Putting it simply, Nextel tells you that you have a spending limit of say $182.39 (seems as though they spin the arbitrary money wheel to arrrive at their figure) at which point all your outgoing calls are routed for your convenience in bill paying to their billing department. And for this they charge you. And the special beauty of this plan is.................Are you ready...................Take a breath, this is good.............There is no way to get removed from spending limits. If you improve your credit rating to the best it can get, you cannot be removed from "Spending Limits". If you pay your bill on time for your entire contract, you cannot be removed from "Spending Limits". So, there is virtually no way to remove this charge from your Nextel Bill for your duration of your account with Nextel. Nextel is happily collecting 10 of your hard earned dollars for being able to put a cap on how much you can spend. Per month. Forever.

And now that I have had my gripe I feel oh so much better. I hope you do too. Smile and get the vaseline! Imagine all the fun the Nextel Sprint merger will add to this package!!!!!!!!!! Ah the possibilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home